Archive for January, 2013


Compositing

We had another compositing project last term. Whilst the technical side of things were very successful, the animation suffered. It left me content with the idea that my interests, and skills really do lie more with the technical side of things. Although its really satisfying to produce an animation that works and looks great, I just cant seem to do it as quickly or easily as others on the course do. I can pose the model, create some really strong poses and silhouettes for the camera. However when it comes to linking things together and getting it smoother, thats where I struggle.

The camera tracking was really successful for this project, mainly, I think, because of the location and contents of the shot. There were lots of trees at multiple distances from the camera. This provided Boujou with lots of large tracking points the calculate the cameras position in every frame. The success of the camera tracking really helped to make it feel as though the raptor was there in the shot.

Unfortunately, the camera that we used just wasnt good enough quality for the project. The final video had compression artefacts and the low quality lense meant the footage was grainy and blurred. This meant that when I came to composite the raptor into the scene, I really struggled to make the crisp CG render look as though it were as blurred, grainy and unclear as the original footage. I added several different blur types as well as a grain. Sadly, what I couldnt see in the playback in after effects, was that the grain I added actually changed every frame, causing it to appear animated and making the raptor appear slightly sparkly.

 

I used the Dino Rig for this project, which I got from Creative Crash: www.creativecrash.com/maya/downloads/character-rigs/c/dinorig

Advertisements

And so it begins…

So, the production section of our major project has officially begun. Eeep. Time has flown by, it feels like no time at all since I was starting my major project in 2nd year.

Our final major project is broken down into four chunks, each four weeks in length (giving a total of 16 weeks production time). Three of these four chunks will be used to create a VFX insurance advert that I will be directing. Two of the three will be mainly directing, with some lighting, rendering and (probably) camera tracking where necessary. The third chunk will be for rigging and skinning the elephant model for this advert. My final chunk is a much smaller collaboration. I will be rigging a “toony” monkey modelled by one of the second years. Another second year will also be animating it.

Right now, I am trying to coordinate with the Motion Design course to get some help with filming my footage for the advert. They have a lot more experience of filming as well as access to much better equipment. The third years have shown little interest in getting involved, but I have been reassured by staff that I should be able to get some second years involved instead.